When rates for Employer Item Pay Types such as SUTA or pension contributions change with a retroactive date a Pay Type adjustment tool is available within your Pontem Software to help with this task.
To recalculate a municipality’s expense/liability use the following steps to run the adjusting tool.
Set Permission to Run Tool
- Log in to Pontem Payroll (PR) using the following credentials:
- Name = SYSDBA
- Password = (contact the Pontem Help Desk for this password if you do not already know it)
- Click Edit in the top Menu Bar.
- Click Adjust Preferences.
- Click “+” beside Security.
- Click Groups.
- Select PR_ADMINS in the ‘Group Code’ column.
- Click the Rights button.
- Double Click pr_adjust_totals to move it from the ‘All Rights’ window to the ‘This Group Rights’ window.
- Click OK.
- Check the list beside the Users button to verify the user to make the adjustment is in the list.
- Click OK.
- Click File in the Menu Bar.
- Click ‘Open an Existing Pontem Payroll.’
Run The Tool
- Log into Pontem PR using your own credentials.
- Click Manage Employees in the Primary Task Box.
- Click the Tools tab.
- Click Pay Types.
- Select the Pay Type needing adjustment.
- NOTE: This tool cannot be used on the Employer FICA or Employer Med pay types. This tool can only be used with Employer Item Pay Types which do not share an Expense Account with another pay type.
- Click the Edit button at the top of the window.
- Click the Tax Info tab.
- Enter the new Percentage Rate for the pay type.
- Click Adjust G/L.
- Read the overview and Click Next button.
- Enter the date the rate went into effect as the Starting Date.
- Enter the day you are setting the Pay Type to the correct rate in the Ending Date.
- Enter the combined Old Percentage Rate.
- Enter the combined New Percentage Rate.
- Click Next.
- Review the Journal Entry with the Show G/L Transaction option.
- The numbers will not be rounded in order to account for the Obligation Assessment Rate.
- Review the math calculations with the Show Worksheet option.
- If you wish to save a text file of the journal entry click the Save button.
- After the review is done, click the Finish button.
- Enter the date for the adjusting entry to be recorded in GL in the G/L Transaction Date.
- Click OK.
- Make sure to click the Save button when exiting the Pay Type.
NOTE: Clicking Cancel button will cancel the journal entry as well.